Tuarangi Old Men’s Home Ashburton
Established in the former Ashburton Immigration Barracks in Short Street, Ashburton, this was a home for elderly men, which also had an infirmary ward.
Initially the home was administered by a special committee, appointed by the Christchurch Hospital Board, though it was passed into the hands of the newly formed North Canterbury and Ashburton Charitable Aid Board in 1885.
A new, purpose built facility was opened in August 1902, adjacent to the showgrounds. The Māori name, Tuarangi (‘Old’) was adopted at this time.