Provider: Committee of Management
Year Opened: 1853
Year Closed: 1926
For further information about this Home, please refer to: For the Record
Now Oz Child
After 20 years in South Melbourne the orphanage moved to Brighton in 1878 because of financial difficulties, new visions of care and a desire to raise the children in a healthier climate.
This institution was divided into five separate “cottages” with 30 children in each under the primary care of a house mother. The complex also included an administrative building, workshops and a detached hospital. A school was also built on site for the orphanage children. The school was also open to local children. The Brighton Beach Primary School remains today.
The new orphanage complex took only half the population of the previous institution because the other radical move was to “board out” 150 children to foster parents, and in some instances, back to their widowed mothers. This effectively was a form of widows’ pension.
The system continued with modifications for some 80 years, including a name change to The Melbourne Orphanage in 1926.
After the second world war, the orphanage began to admit children from broken homes in addition to orphans. In 1954 a social worker was appointed – the first in a charitable children’s home in Victoria.
In 1956, in view of overseas trends, a commitment was made to move out of the orphanage in Brighton into family group homes. These were located in the Glen Waverly vicinity, with an administrative and counselling facility in Ferntree Gully Road.
The phasing in of Family Group homes began in 1959 and was completed in 1963 with 14 family group homes established. The Melbourne Orphanage building was demolished.
Articles Mentioning this Home:
CLAN Homes – Orphanages Gallery
There are currently no other images available for CLAN members to view for this Home. If you have any images and would like to donate them, please contact CLAN.
CLAN Museum Gallery
There are currently no images of historical items available for CLAN members to view for this Home. If you have any historical items and would like to donate them, please contact CLAN.