Bungarimbil Boys’ Home

Location

710 Taradale Road
Tumbarumba NSW
Australia

Provider: Anglicare

Year Opened: 1957

Year Closed: 1983

Bungarimbil Boys’ Home began as a vision of Mrs. J. Macleod, when in 1949 she transferred by deed of gift 937 acres to the Church Property Trust, and later, further property, together with the Bungarimbil homestead and outbuildings.

On November 2, 1950, Bishop K. J. Clements spoke of Bungarimbil and the meaning it would hold for Tumbarumba ‑ “at present we are just cleaning up, but when the time comes to build, it will be a great, real home, warm, staffed by devoted Christian persons, willing to give their lives in that service.”

In 1951, at the time of her death, it was learnt that Mrs. Macleod had willed the adjoining property to the Church. By early 1957 the Bungarimbil Boys’ Farm Home had the first intake of boys. The arrival of the eight Locke boys in the September took the number to twelve. The first house parents were Rev. John Brain and his wife.

It was during this period that the first steps were taken for the formation of an Auxiliary to help equip and provide amenities for the home. Churchwomen’s Unions had already promised support.

In April, 1961, a contract was signed for the building of a second home at the cost of $32,000. The opening of the new 52 sq. Edna Burgmann Boys’ Home took place on 25th November, 1961 and was dedicated by Bishop K. J. Clements ‑ “in the faith of Jesus Christ we dedicate this house and its grounds to the Glory of God”. In the absence of Mrs. Burgmann, the official “turning of the key” was performed by Mrs. Clements.

Mr. and Mrs. Jim Wenham cared for the 16 boys who moved into the new home. During the intervening years with the arrival and departure of over 120 boys, the Rev. Moore and Mr. Bert Kennett and their wives were subsequent house parents. At the beginning of 1976 Frank and Margaret Phillips left the home, where they had been house parents for over three years.

It is of interest that the new house parents are Mr. and Mrs. John Locke, John being one of the original boys at Bungarimbil. For some years John wanted to help boys in a similar situation to that which he had found himself many years previously.

A bequest of $30,000 from the Estate of the late Mrs. Ruby Woodhouse has recently been made available to the Church Property Trust, the interest to be used for the Bungarimbil Boys’ Home.

(courtesy James)

Related News Articles

Urgent Need for Boys Home To Be Expanded, 14 August 1959 (The Canberra Times)

CLAN Homes – Orphanages Gallery

Additional images are available for CLAN members to view for this Home.

CLAN Museum Gallery

There are currently no images of historical items available for CLAN members to view for this Home. If you have any historical items and would like to donate them, please contact CLAN.

CLAN library books (where this Home is mentioned)

There are currently no images of historical items available for CLAN members to view for this Home. If you have any historical items and would like to donate them, please contact CLAN.