Waltham Orphanage/Waltham Children’s Home
This institution, opened in 1905 by the North Canterbury Hospital Board, in what had been a private residence, replaced the Canterbury Orphanage (Lyttelton). It accepted male and female children who had been orphaned or abandoned, or whose parents, through illness or misfortune, were simply unable to care for them.
In 1957, it became the Teresa Green Home for the elderly. Children who would formerly have received care from this institution were thenceforward sent to the Huntsbury Home.