The Grange Girls Home
The original The Grange Girls Orphanage was opened in Herne Bay in 1916, by the Auckland Division of the Salvation Army. The Grange was the former home of William and Marianne Smith, gifted to the Salvation Army by Marianne Smith. Early in 1957 The Grange Girls Home moved to new premises at 164 Remuera Rd, on the corner of Remuera and Bassett Roads. The house was formerly Glenesk, home of John Falconer Ewen, from 1920-1956.
The Grange housed up to 30 girls and was officially closed in 1983.
The Grange Girls Home, 164 Remuera Road