Te Oranga Reformatory/Girls’ Home Burwood/Girls’ Training Centre (Burwood)/Kingslea Home and School
Te Oranga Reformatory was opened in 1900 for girls after the Burnham Industrial School became exclusively a boys’ school. In 1928 it was renamed the Girls’ Home Burwood. In 1945 it became known as the Girls’ Training Centre, Burwood. It functioned both as a reformatory and as a support centre for those whose parents or relatives were unable to care for them. In 1965, it was renamed Kingslea, and offered support to troubled adolescent girls, from 13 to 18 years of age. Generally, girls were taken in for 18 months to 2 years, and were offered educational, vocational, and social training. Kingslea School, which remains open to this day, was also founded in order to cater for these girls. From 1988 onwards, Kingslea Home and Kingslea School have catered for both boys and girls.