St Joseph’s Boys Home
St Joseph’s Boys’ Home in Doon Street, Waverley, was opened by the Sisters of Mercy in 1920 in the former home of politician Scobie Mackenzie. In 1937, with demand for its services growing, a new building was erected. The boys attended St Joseph’s school, with some going on to further education at Christian Brothers High School. When the Christian Brothers commenced St Edward’s School in South Dunedin in 1949, the St Joseph’s Home boys started to attend primary school there.
In 1955 St Vincent’s closed and the girls there moved to St Joseph’s. It continued as a mixed home until its closure in 1982. From 1983 until 1988 the buildings were used to provide emergency accommodation for women and children.