Samaritan Home

Located in what had been the Addington Gaol, this institution was opened by the Anglican Church and the Charitable Aid Board. It functioned essentially as a ‘half-way house’ for both men and women, between other Charitable Aid institutions and prison.

In 1911, the Government took possession of the building, and the female inmates were transferred to the Female Refuge