Marama Home opened in 1942 in a 9 roomed house on a 10 1/2 acre property near Lawrence. It was extended to provide accommodation for 20-24 children. It was used as a holiday home for Dunedin children, and was also intended to provide back-up should the Dunedin Homes ever need to be evacuated.
In 1964 it was converted into a family home with Mr and Mrs Walsh as foster parents. It closed in 1973 when the Walshes retired.