Female Refuge/Reformatory/Essex Maternity Hospital
This establishment was opened by the Anglican Church in 1864 to provide maternity services to, and act as a reformatory for, women carrying their first illegitimate child.
Initially, its administration and maintenance relied heavily upon public donations, but the Provincial Government became involved, with a building grant in 1867, and again in 1874, at which time the Charitable Aid Administrator took over formal control of the institution.
Later in its history, it acted as a maternity home for all women. In 1918 it became known as the ‘Essex Home’