Cholmondeley Memorial Children’s Home
Located in Governor’s Bay, and opened in 1925, this institution replaced the New Brighton Convalescent Cottage which opened in 1900 to care for convalescent children, and the offspring of convalescent mothers. The property was gifted to the children of Canterbury by Hugh Heber Cholmondeley.
To this day, Cholmondeley provides for the temporary housing and care of children who are unable to stay in their own homes due to familial crisis. It is maintained by a private charitable organisation (the Cholmondeley Children’s Foundation), with Government assistance, and public donations.