Armagh Street Depot
When the Charitable Aid House reverted to Church use, in July 1875, the women and children who had been housed there moved to this establishment. A decision was made to close the Depot in August, 1888, and those housed here were then transferred to the Queen’s Jubilee Memorial Home.
In 1894 the original Depot building was replaced, and a new building was opened to serve as a temporary shelter for destitute men, many of whom were waiting for admission to Tuarangi (Old Men’s Home), Ashburton.
Aid was dispensed from this site for many years; indeed, as late as the 1930s, the Depot was being utilised as a temporary home for unemployed young men.